Metra is one of the largest and most complex commuter rail systems in North America, serving Cook, DuPage, Will, Lake, Kane, and McHenry Counties. The agency is linking communities in Northeastern Illinois by providing safe, reliable, and efficient commuter service.
Metra's Law Department is led by the General Counsel who reports directly to the CEO and the Metra Board of Directors. The department provides legal guidance and support to the Board of Directors, the executive team and every department in the organization. The department is comprised of three areas: General Corporate/Ethics, Litigation and Risk Management and Real Estate and Grants. The department focuses on preventing legal issues at every feasible level and defending the agency's position if issues arise.
Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, the Attorney 1 is an entry level position that will play a supporting role in providing legal services for corporate transactional or litigation functions within the Law department; may be assigned basic core duties involving compliance, contracts, employment, litigation, real estate, risk, or general corporate matters; resolve issues, problems, and disputes; conduct fact investigations; provide advice on case merits; and represent agency in-court.
The primary duties include, participation in trial preparation, discovery, and depositions; drafting motions, briefs, and legal memoranda; ensure legal responses are compliant with statutory guidelines; and represent the agency in court.
Assist with drafting, preparing, and reviewing general contracts, including licensing agreements; ensure all relevant facts and legal considerations are assembled, assessed and accurate before contracts are presented for execution.
Work collaboratively with, and provide advice to, agency teams responsible for products and services requiring contracts or other documentation; evaluate and advise on appropriate legal courses of action.
Participate in settlement negotiations and closings on real estate transactions.
Conduct research on general questions of law; analyze municipal, state, and federal laws and regulations, particularly related to public transportation, and ensure compliance; coordinate and utilize resources and services provided by paralegals and legal secretaries.
Candidates can expect salary offers that range from the minimum to the mid-point of the salary range. Metra provides full pay ranges so candidate can consider their growth potential.
Metra is a railroad employer subject to the provisions of the Railroad Retirement Tax Act, not the Social Security Administration.
1. Must possess a Juris Doctorate degree.
2. Must be a licensed attorney in the State of Illinois within 3 months of hire date.
3. Must register with the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission of the Supreme Court of Illinois.
4. Experience with various phases of litigation, real estate, or contracts in public or transportation areas is preferred.
5. Familiar with:
6. Basic understanding of the State of Illinois practice laws, as well as municipal, state, and federal rules and regulations related to public transportation and administration.
7. Proficient in Microsoft 365 with emphasis in Word, Excel, and Outlook.
8. Excellent research skills with extraordinary attention to detail.
9. Effective verbal and written communications and organization skills.
10. Considerable analytical skills including an understanding of how to integrate facts, law, and theory.
11. Able to:
Metra is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, or any protected categories, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation.