Responsible for practicing medicine under the guidance and supervision of physicians and surgeons. Examines patients, diagnoses diseases, determines treatments, and prescribes medication.
- Provide diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventive healthcare services.
- Take medical histories.
- Ascertain allergies.
- Examine patients and determine reason for visit.
- Order and interpret laboratory tests.
- Order x-rays.
- Treat minor injuries.
- Apply antiseptics, dressings, bandages, and other wound care accouterments.
- Apply sutures.
- Splint and cast broken bones.
- Record patient's progress and make further recommendations.
- Instruct and counsel patients on a variety of topics.
- Prescribe physical therapy and medications.
- Order medical supplies.
- Supervise medical technicians, nurses, and assistants.
- Confer often with supervising physician.
- Make house calls.
- Administer inoculations.
- Order and set up special equipment.
- Provide surgical assistance.
- Attend to patients in hospitals.
- Recommend follow up visits.