Product Design Engineer
Responsible for researching and developing ideas and processes for new products. Improves upon the performance and design of existing products and oversees production and packaging of final product.
- Design, model, and test prototypes for products.
- Conduct research and create design proposals for projects.
- Establish design briefs.
- Create concepts, performance, and production criteria.
- Identify and select materials needed for production.
- Produce final hand drawings and specifications.
- Create parts lists.
- List costs involved in production.
- Make samples of working models for demonstration.
- Plan marketing initiatives for product.
- Negotiate appropriate production processes.
- Travel to production facilities to evaluate processes.
- Improve usability of an item.
- Use computer-aided design (CAD) to design concepts.