The hours of this position are on the 2nd shift, Monday - Friday, 2:30 pm to 11:00 pm.
The Quality Control Specialist has broad responsibility for Quality Control auditing of finished goods and manufacturing facility. This position will also be responsible for data base maintenance, troubleshooting and product disposition.
This position may require the employee to work overtime as needed. Overtime is scheduled based upon individual job responsibilities and the needs of the department.
This position requires employees to receive cross training in other QC functions in order to provide back up support as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Responsible for entering data into Company databases
- Perform inspection of equipment, product and/or production lines
- Conformance to GMP guidelines and company policies/procedures
- Inspect/audit facilities, manufacturing equipment and product as required
- Identify non-conforming conditions and product relating to food safety and food quality
- Responsible for placing on hold products or materials that do not conform to specifications.
- Initiate an investigation into the causes of material or product non-conformance, gathering pertinent information (documents, interviews, graphic and physical evidence, etc), without prompt from Supervisor
- Investigate a customer complaint with guidance from Supervisor
- Perform internal audits
- Make suggestions to improve safety, food safety and quality
- Make suggestions on how to increase efficiency and cost savings within the department and actively participate in implementation of own or other's ideas
- Gather sample products as required
- Provide training to other employees as directed
- Other duties may be assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- 3-5 years' quality control experience in the food/beverage industry
- Knowledge of one or more of the following is desirable: GMP's, HACCP, SQF, FDA regulations for foods and beverages, internal auditing
- Must be able to complete a skills assessment test to assess basic skills needed in the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
- Good Computer skills (e-mail, internet use, basic skills in MS excel, MS word, and MS Power Point)
- Good written and oral communication skills in English are required. Written and oral skills in any other language are a plus.
- Ability to work in a team based environment.
- Ability to work independently
- Proactive behavior (take initiatives/make suggestions/follow up with limited Supervision)
- Good analytical skills (observation, attention to detail, problem solving)
- Desire to learn, take on challenges and responsibilities. Flexibility to adapt to change
- Basic math skills: Arithmetic, percentages, ratios, measurements
- Ability to multi task, organize and prioritize tasks
- Good conflict resolution and interpersonal skills
- Identify and communicate unsafe work conditions to Supervisor
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employee must be able to:
- Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, ramps, and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery surfaces.
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Standing: Remaining upright on the feet, particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Pushing: Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward. May be required to push a cart containing product weighing up to 115lbs.
- Pulling: Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to-position.
- Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with whole hand or arm as in handling.
- Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Feeling: Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; those activities where detailed or important spoken instructions must be conveyed to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and making fine discriminations in sound.
- Repetitive motions: Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Required to have close visual acuity with full color perception to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or inspection of machines; using measurement devices.
- The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned and/or to make general observations of production environment.
Office/Laboratory/Manufacturing Facility environment with exposure to some allergen production
- Subject to allergens.
- Working at times within a dusty production environment.
- Subject to noise: There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Subject to hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, exposure to high heat.
FOOD SAFETY and QUALITY RESPONSIBILITIES
Follow applicable procedures and work instructions.
Verification and monitor audit of CCP's, QCP's, Prerequisite programs
Back up redundant-this position backs up QA Lab Technicians
IMPACT ON JEL SERT
The job is essential to ensure all products are produced within Jel Sert and/or customer specifications to ensure product is safe for consumption and meet quality requirements.