Name: Mechanical Engineering Co-op
Req #: 54050
Location: Waukesha CORP
Employment Type: Co-Op
Shift: 1st Shift
Generac's Co-Op program is designed to provide Engineering Students a wide range of in-depth experiences consisting of a series of three terms in which the Co-Op will work full time for 12 to 16 weeks. The role will provide the Co-Op rich and diverse engineering assignments during the last two-years of Engineering School. The terms provide a thorough exposure to Generac's New Product Development process and overall R&D culture. Participants develop technical skills through challenging project assignments and usage of technical tools. Assignments are established within the following functional units:
Term 1 - Mechanical Design Principles
Term 2 - Detailed Design or Development
Term 3 - Component/System Design or Product Design
Other related functional areas: Program Management, Project Management, Quality, Intellectual Property, Marketing, IT, etc...
In addition to their direct supervisor for each rotation, each Co-Op participant is assigned a technical leader and mentor to provide consistent support to them throughout each of their 3 terms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs, validates, and brings new products to market.
- Provide new product development support in the Industrial, Commercial, Residential and/or Retail generator or Power Tool product area including; Creating and maintaining CAD models, drawings, and BOMs, Supporting product development plans (schedule, product cost, meeting design inputs), Interfacing with internal company personnel, Provide technical support for assigned projects.
- Specifies precise new product functional requirements; designs, tests and integrates standard, less complex components to produce final designs; and evaluates the design's overall effectiveness, cost (including cost/benefit analysis), reliability (risk analysis), and safety.
- Designs, develops, executes and evaluates fitness-for-use testing, product specifications and process validation plans for standard products and/or components; creates and reviews material part specifications and bills of materials.
- Collaborates with internal manufacturing partners, contract manufacturers, designers and product specialists to optimize basic designs for manufacturability.
- Utilizes CAD (Computer Aided Design) or CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) systems to model new designs and produce detailed engineering drawings.
- Supporting product development plans (schedule, product cost, meeting design inputs)
- Travel to other Generac facilities as necessary
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Physical demands:
- Must have just completed Sophomore Year of a 4 year Bachelor of Science Program in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Previous relevant work experience preferred;
- Able to solve basic engineering problems; good decision-making skills;
- Technical Skill to include exposure to 3D modeling (ProE or SolidWorks); MS Excel, MS Word;
- Mechanical aptitude and proven ability to pick up on technical things quickly
- Skilled at planning by accurately scoping out length and difficulty of tasks and projects
- Interpersonal savvy, cooperative, coachable team player
- Proficient oral and written communication and able to write clearly and succinctly to get a message across
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear; and use hands to manipulate objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. Specific conditions of this job include are typical of frequent and continuous computer-based work requiring periods of sitting, close vision and ability to adjust focus. Occasional travel.
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."