it's what's inside that counts
There's more to CMC than our steel products and the buildings, structures, and roads they go into. At CMC, it's the people inside our recycling centers, fabrication plants, steel mills and offices that make us who we are as a company. Our success comes from finding, retaining, and supporting the highest quality talent by offering:
- Competitive compensation
- Advancement opportunities
- Paid time off
- Low-cost medical, dental, vision
- Company-paid life and disability
- Company matching 401(k) plan
- Employee stock purchase plan
Why This Job
CMC provides an excellent opportunity to learn the steel industry and grow in your career. Whether you will spend your day in an office cubicle, operating a crane or running the melt shop at one of our mills, at CMC, you'll get the training and support from your team that you need to excel in your role and reach your full potential.
What You'll Do
- Train in all areas of the Yard Department to include operating various types of mobile and fixed equipment including forklifts, in-plant trucks, rail car movers and loaders
- Remove side boards from road trailers and prepare trailers for outbound deliveries
- Cut up scrap and place into scrap boxes, unload tonnage as delivered
- Monitor scrap supply in melt shop; coordinate switching activities to ensure melt shop scrap supplies and rolling mill railcar needs are met
- Operate pendant crane to transfer wire spindle replacement to tie machine location
- Inspect and verify scrap for grade and quality, hold questionable cars for disposition and monitor car weights
- Ensure equipment inspection reports are filled out each shift
- Work safely to prevent on the job injuries by following safety rules and regulations at all times including proper wearing of company PPE
- Participates in the CMC Safety Programs and proactively upholds the CMC Safety Culture
- Troubleshoot work related problems using job knowledge, experience, and by communicating with others
- Understand start up, shutdown, and emergency procedures
- Responsible for daily housekeeping duties including but not limited to immediate work area
What You'll Need
- Minimum 1 year field experience in either heavy industrial operations and/or manufacturing environment preferred
- Ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment, with excellent strong work ethic, attention to detail, and organizational skills
- Must be able to learn quickly and multitask
- Must be able to work a 12 hour shift, which includes overtime, weekends and holidays
- Dependability in attendance, work completion, and flexibility to meet business needs
- Ability to work with exposure to extremes in temperature, chemical, dust fumes and mists, uneven surfaces, loud noise, elevated work areas, and confined spaces
- Ability to stand for duration of shift; frequent physical activity such as walking, climbing stairs or reaching to work with equipment throughout the entire shift
- Push and pull up to 90 lbs and carry 50 lbs
- Basic computer skills
- Strong communication skills required. Must read, speak, and understand English language in verbal and written communication.
- High School Diploma or GED required
We are Commercial Metals Company, a Fortune 500 company with a family feel that's already part of your life. Our steel products have been supporting structures in more than 20 countries for over 100 years. And the secret to our success? We've built our legacy by assembling a team of innovators and doers to tackle some of the most challenging problems facing our world over last 100 years - but we're just getting started.
If you're ready to reimagine ways to make the steel industry more sustainable, reinforce the bridges and roadways that connect our communities, and raise the bar for what it means to do meaningful work day in and day out. In short, you're ready to be part of CMC. Join us and start moving your career - and our world - forward.
CMC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, citizenship, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, or other status protected by federal, state or local law.