it's what's inside that counts
Why This Job
CMC provides an excellent opportunity to learn the steel industry and grow in your career. Whether you will spend your day in an office cubicle, operating a crane or running the melt shop at one of our mills, at CMC, you'll get the training and support from your team that you need to excel in your role and reach your full potential.
What You'll Do
- Will work alongside a partner at a scrap cutting station to torch cut throughout their scheduled 8-hour shift. Will work a 16 to 29-hour work week, Monday through Friday
- Properly prepare oversized, unprepared scrap metal to the proper size and length for use in the Melt Shop
- Use industrial sized gas and oxygen cutting torch and equipment
- Ensure equipment inspection reports are filled out each shift
- Interpret all operational procedures and parameters including Job Safety Analysis and Work Instructions
- Will be required to wear all Hot Metals Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Work safely to prevent on the job injuries by following safety rules and regulations at all times including proper wearing of company PPE
- Troubleshoot work related problems using job knowledge, experience, and by communicating with others
- Understand start up, shutdown, and emergency procedures
- Responsible for daily housekeeping duties including but not limited to immediate work area
What You'll Need
- Ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment, with excellent strong work ethic, attention to detail, and organizational skills
- Ability to work with exposure to extremes in temperature, chemical, dust fumes and mists, uneven surfaces, loud noise, elevated work areas, and confined spaces
- Basic computer skills
- Dependability in attendance, work completion, and flexibility to meet business needs
- Must be able to learn quickly and multitask
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Some overtime will be required
- Work on a rotating shift which may include weekends and holidays
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university program
We are Commercial Metals Company, a Fortune 500 company with a family feel that's already part of your life. Our steel products have been supporting structures in more than 20 countries for over 100 years. And the secret to our success? We've built our legacy by assembling a team of innovators and doers to tackle some of the most challenging problems facing our world over last 100 years - but we're just getting started.
If you're ready to reimagine ways to make the steel industry more sustainable, reinforce the bridges and roadways that connect our communities, and raise the bar for what it means to do meaningful work day in and day out. In short, you're ready to be part of CMC. Join us and start moving your career - and our world - forward.
CMC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, citizenship, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, or other status protected by federal, state or local law.