At CN everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you're part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely-helping keep the economy on track. We provide the kind of paid training and opportunities that long-term careers are built on and we recognize hard workers who strive to make a difference. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
Summer Internship for students in Engineering (Bridges and Structures) CN is currently seeking candidates who are working towards obtaining a Bachelors of Science specializing in Civil or Structural Engineering for a paid internship during the summer of 2021 (May 17- August 20, 2021).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Surveying of various bridges
- Reviews inspection reports and provides asset management of CN infrastructure (bridges, bridge-type culverts, culverts, tunnels, retaining walls, etc.)
- Develop designs, estimates and specifications for various maintenance and other contracts and oversee its implementation
- Assist in the oversight of construction of these projects in the field, monitor project budgets and third party billing to ensure all recoverable monies are accounted for
- Assists in planning of the inspection program, inspection schedules (detailed, visual, special. underwater inspections) and ensures Bridge Condition System (BCS) report entry, equipment plant inventory (EPI) and other archived inspection data is maintained accurately
- Provide technical support in the development and implementation of internal special capital projects, assist with construction supervision activities and field survey needs
- Must be 18 years of age
- Valid driver's license
- Must be a legal U.S Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must be a student currently enrolled and working towards a degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or a related field
- Displays computer proficiency
- Strong written and oral communication skills are necessary in English
- Ability to travel, with minimal notice, anywhere within our U.S. operations during the internship (75%-100% of the time)
- Ability to work both inside and outside in all types of weather conditions
- Ability to pass a background investigation pertaining to federal and state criminal history, including driver history
- Must be able to attend orientation, May 17, 2020 in Homewood, IL
- Work shift work, including nights, weekends and holidays
- Combination of office work and working outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- Enforce safe work procedures and policies
- Meet deadlines, interface with senior management
- Travel for company business, at times without advance notice
The ideal candidate profile:
- Interested in a career as a Bridge Rating Engineer, Bridge Testing Engineer, or Bridge Design Engineer following the internship
- Knowledge of railway practices, railway design standards, industry standards and federal regulations affecting railway facilities and operations
- General knowledge of Computer Aided Drawing (AutoCAD) technology
- Demonstrates the ability to work autonomously, adapt rapidly to changing circumstances and situations and manage stressful situations.
- Collaborative and team-oriented, can motivate others to achieve set objectives and maintains positive interactions.
- Is result-focused, while prioritizing daily tasks.
- Excellent English verbal, reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and company satisfaction.
- Understands and applies safety standards
- Previous experience in a railroad environment
- Students that are entering their Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Possible locations include anywhere along our U.S. network
As a leading North American transportation and logistics company, CN is a true backbone of the economy. With a team of approximately 25,000 railroaders, our focus is on moving both our company and the economy forward. We transport US$200 billion worth of goods annually for a wide range of business sectors from resource to manufactured products to consumer goods, across a 20,000-mile network spanning Canada and mid-America. CN is the only Canadian company listed in the Transportation and Transportation Infrastructure sector of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI). Launched in 1999, the DJSI World represents the gold standard for corporate sustainability. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.