SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,300 experts across 15offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialistsdevelop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces. We are deeply committed to our promise to Design a Better Future - for our clients, communities and employees. Are you ready to help us get there?
The Chicagooffice of SmithGroupis looking for aDirector of Business Developmentto join our team.SmithGroup has been named one ofChicago's Top Workplaces by the Chicago Tribune forthree (3)consecutive years!
Working with us, you will:
- Work with management and technical staff to identify project opportunities, strengthen current business ties and client relationships, and formulate business development strategies to expand SmithGroup market sectors.
- Partner with market leaders to develop strategy and identify key client targets.
- Develop project pursuit strategies.
- Position SmithGroup for projects before Requests for Proposals are issued. Actively engage in proposal strategy development and may assist in writing proposal sections and preparing qualification packages.
- Coach presentation teams as needed or requested. Assist in organizing and/or leading presentation preparation sessions.
- Facilitate relationship-building activities and assist with the development of key client relationship management skill sets for technical staff.
- Keep abreast of overall business trends, particularly the current business climate within market sectors.
- Establish relationships with key market influencers such as city managers, developers, program managers, city officials, economic development staff, etc.
- Represent SmithGroup in a manner consistent with corporate image and standards and actively engage in several professional and civic organizations, often in a leadership role.
- Perform ongoing research of industry/trade organizations and make recommendations on the value of memberships/sponsorships.
- Track competitor activity by monitoring websites, collateral presentations, trade journals and discussion lists.
- Update and maintain lead tracking databases with relevant information on targeted clients, contacts and opportunities.
- Conduct project debriefs and client satisfaction surveys.
An ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Architecture or Engineering discipline or related field preferred.
- 12 to 15 years of experience in the A/E/C industry, with at least 5 years of experience in a professional services marketing and/or business development role required.
- Existing relationships, or the ability to establish future relationships with key industry decision-makers.
- The ability to present a positive image of SmithGroup at outside events, including business functions, industry conferences, professional association meetings, etc.
- A strong ability to carefully listen to clients and clearly understand their needs.
- The keen ability to assess SmithGroup teams to identify and convincingly present key differentiators.
- Ability to work well in team environment while also working independently to make decisions and see projects through to completion.
- The ability to synthesize relevant information needed for high level and business development decision-making.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, at all levels of the organization and ability to present complex issues/data with high level of clarity and impact.
- General understanding of lead tracking software/databases (e.g., Upshot).
SmithGroup offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.