Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Senior Principal Application Systems Engineer is responsible for systems analysis, design, development, integration, enhancement, and deployment as well as application support for various applications. The position entails monitoring, administration, development, oversight and incremental enhancement of Amtrak’s platform and applications. Daily tasks include application development, responding to change and trouble tickets, monitoring the platform for failures, exceptions and threshold issues, tuning and optimizing applications performance, testing applications for product upgrades and patches, communicating with customers and upper management about platform and/or ticket status, and working on occasional minor enhancements as remaining work capacity allows.
**This role specifically will be focused on Power App solutions and requires:
- Experience creating and supporting Power App solutions.
- Proficiency using Power Automate, including the ability to create workflows between applications and services, automating repetitive business processes such as communication, data collections and approvals and leveraging triggers and actions where appropriate.
- Knowledge of Power BI Analytics to deliver a detailed visual analysis of data through Dashboards and reports.
- Working knowledge of Common Data Service (CDS) and how to leverage it with the Power Suite.
- Experience using a variety of Connectors, Data Sources and Dynamics 365
- Works on projects that may span a broad range of systems.
- Requires expertise in multiple technical environments and possesses an increased level of business knowledge.
- Consults in the project planning process with customers, IT business analysts, architects and team members.
- Organizes and documents technical requirements.
- Creates technical design specifications and assists in sizing technical requirements.
- Works with customers to develop and analyze application packages and tools and determine optimum functionality requirements to meet those needs.
- Evaluates new application packages and tools.
- Develops multiple recommendations for the solutions.
- Evaluates existing applications and platform and provides recommendations for system enhancements by conducting gap analysis, identifying feasible alternative solutions, and assisting in the scope of modifications.
- Participates on teams that outline the process and scope out the improvements that can be realized through the application solution.
- Leads the deployment of new modules, upgrades and fixes.
- Implements integration plans.
- Interfaces with testing teams to incorporate plans into integration testing process.
- Defines, develops or modifies software application modules or enterprise wide software systems using disciplined development processes.
- Identifies better sources of data feeds and interfaces with architects to ensure their feasibility with corporate data warehouse, when needed.
- Documents functions and changes to new or modified modules, test activities/results and other areas such as error handling and backup/recovery procedures.
- Adheres to quality standards and procedures.
- Reviews modules for quality assurance and checks compliance with application architecture standards and SLAs.
- May assist in defining development guidelines and standards to be utilized in software development/integration.
- Makes modules production-ready by moving them to libraries, completing forms, following procedures, completing version control documents, etc.
- Provides high level support and ongoing maintenance of applications.
- Analyze data extracts from system based on user requirements.
- Prepares and presents functional design specifications and design project process flow.
- Provides technical leadership coaching and mentoring to team members.
- Provides technical guidance or system process expertise.
- Develops reports and presentations for senior management, as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or business management – or equivalent work experience.
- 12 to 15 years of relevant technical experience in a Subject Matter Expert capacity.
- Extensive experience programming and/or systems analysis experience. Have a broad level of understanding surrounding information systems and application architecture standards.
- Perform development of customer enhancements, and maintenance tasks.Ideal candidate will have a proven track record in working with the technical and solution architects of global brands, and their teams, to identify, architect and implement technology solutions in support of transformation initiatives.
- Significant hands-on experience managing the design, implementation, configuration, testing, and optimization of complex network systems including system architecture and L1/L2/L3 network design.
- Ability to serve as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for wireless and wired network architectures for passenger trains.
- Strong understanding of project management principles and field implementation management.
- Domain knowledge of train operations and onboard/station technologies.
- Strong field experience and ability to work onsite and in challenging and austere field service environments.
- Excellent communication skills required. Heavy safety focus and operational awareness a must.
- Recognized as a trusted adviser, with a track record of creating successful technology solutions that support the organisational strategic vision and goals.
- Able to bring to bear extensive knowledge of architectural patterns, technology components, vendor solutions and emerging technology trends on digital solution development in one or more industries.
- A confident written and verbal communicator, able to clearly explain digital ideas to non-technical audiences, and work effectively with non-technical colleagues and business executives.
- A capable team leader, used to managing teams of consultants, analysts, technologists and third party suppliers to develop detailed solutions, costs, timescales and methods for delivery of technology solutions.
- Seasoned at successfully managing the sourcing and selection process for third-party software and other technology components and services, as required to enable delivery of digital transformation solutions.
- Must possess the ability to utilize adaptable communication skills to effectively translate between technical and business language.
- Must possess the skill to educate project team members on business unit goals and objectives and educate the business on the value of information technology.
- Ability to identify, propose and oversee the execution of business solutions as well as interpret.
- Documents communicating business needs and requirements.
- Must possess the skill to assess the client needs through direct interaction, and identify opportunities to develop the business through effective use of technology.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Corporate Jobs; Information Technology