Serves as Lead to other assigned Freight Handlers and performs manual loading and unloading of freight with the use of a pallet jack, hand truck or forklift, general labor and warehouse maintenance. Takes full charge of the assigned receiving area. Knows the proper location and receiving process for all accounts. Models and acts in accordance with our guiding principles and core values.
- Oversee receiving, shipping and pick/pack functions
- Receive cargo from incoming trucks by removing from truck by hand, or using manual equipment such as hand truck or pallet jack, or by using forklift.
- Verify and note the count and condition of cargo received, knowing when to either refuse or accept with notation.
- Record receipts to appropriate forms and/or log books.
- Verify that proper documentation is attached and resolve discrepancies.
- Ensure that freight is labeled accurately to destination.
- Sort cargo received by account or intended location, and store in proper location.
- Know the special handling requirements and necessary documentation related to special cargo, including hazardous or sensitive materials.
- Perform all forklift requirements, including heavy and oversized pieces.
- Develop load plans for trucks and containers, and anticipate equipment needs for a shipment.
- Develop and maintain excellent customer service to internal and external customers at all times.
- Assume responsibility for at least one major account and be effectively cross-trained on all others to fill in as necessary.
- Assume light packing duties and assist in export boxing area when needed.
- Distribute work assignments and provide direction and train assigned team.
- Ability to perform, fill in, and train the functions of a warehouse worker and forklift operator.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills: Essential Requirements
Education & Certifications
- High school education or GED Preferred.
- Minimum three years related experience Preferred.
- Minimum two years industry experience Preferred.
- Minimum six months supervisory experience Preferred
Certifications and Licenses
- Forklift Driver Certification Required.
- Valid state issued driver's license Preferred.
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Must be able to read, write and speak English proficiently.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with multi-functional and diverse backgrounds.
OTHER ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Ability to drive and/or operate heavy equipment.
- Ability to operate forklift, hand truck and pallet jack.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Responds promptly and professionally to customer needs and requests for service and assistance.
- Read, comprehend and complete basic checklists, forms or other related documents.
- Effectively present information one-on-one in small group situations.
- Ability to distribute work assignments, provide direction and train assigned team.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities, and exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views.