Reporting to the Senior Director of Marketing, the Director of Marketing, Earned Media will be a creative team leader who will develop and spearhead proactive earned media strategy and oversee social media for Temple University with the explicit goal of raising awareness of Temple University (University) and lifting the University's reputation in both regional and select national markets. A seasoned communicator, the Director will deliver a mix of strategy, execution, and leadership to ensure public relations initiatives deliver against targets established within annual marketing plans. The Director will develop and uphold Strategic Marketing and Communications strategic and editorial vision, as well as its brand pillars to ensure messaging priorities are infused throughout all communications. The Director will work as a consultant for Temple's 17 schools, colleges, and units on earned media strategies and offer ways to better align their individual strategies with the overarching University mission, vision, and values. Overall plans and targeted markets will be set in conjunction with senior leadership and the Directors of Marketing.
Alongside the Senior Director of Marketing, the Director will assess, hire, and manage a University-wide earned media agency of record. The Director will cultivate and maintain strong relationships with traditional and emerging media outlets including, but not limited to editors, freelance writers, reporters, bloggers, niche publishers, and influencers. The Director is expected to establish a cohesive, overarching earned media strategy, coupled with a complimentary social media strategy that advances the University's strategic marketing priorities. The person in this role will use research and analytics to understand audiences, segment outreach, identify opportunities and challenges, and measure outcomes.
The Director will cultivate a network of local and national higher education journalists, influencers, editors, and other public relations professionals as a trusted, responsive, and service-oriented public relations professional. The Director will develop earned media baselines and goals to help quantify efforts alongside the Marketing and Research teams. A highly-qualified candidate will draw from industry experience and best practices to help the team develop and understand such metrics and goals and produce reports for executive leadership comprised of data on efforts and impact.
The Director will lead teams of cross-functional marketers in designing, planning, and executing an integrated mix of earned, owned, and paid media that amplifies and aligns brand and message. The Director will lead the functional social media team, guide them in long-term editorial planning and communications, and provide direction and weigh-in on crisis communications decision-making as it relates to the University's social media channels.
The Director is expected to collaborate with the Directors of Marketing within the marketing team, as well as with colleagues across the division in executive and crisis communications, web, and content to build integrated marketing strategies. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications, public relations, or a related field. At least 5-7 years of experience in public relations, journalism, or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
* Has a firm grasp on the Greater Philadelphia media landscape, current trends and issues in higher education, and public relations best practices.
Required Skills & Abilities:
* Work successfully within a cross-functional, interdisciplinary, research-driven, and goal-focused environment
* Superior interpersonal and problem-solving skills, including the ability to establish cooperative working relationships with supervisors, colleagues, campus partners, and members of the media
* Must be an effective writer and storyteller
* Demonstrated ability to effectively and collaboratively work as part of a cross-functional team
* Proven success in running earned media campaigns that deliver measurable results
* Able to effectively interact with high-profile sources and handle highly confidential information with integrity and professionalism
* Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and make independent decisions in a fast-paced environment while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines
* Superior organizational skills-must be able to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines
* Excellent project management, analytical, communication, and diplomacy skills
* Must be meticulous and detail-oriented
* Ability to attend staff events as needed (including occasional nights and weekends)
* Proven success in managing all variety of media relations, including student, regional and national outlets, by cultivating strong relationships and strategically identifying opportunities
* Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
* Previous experience in managing an agency relationship
* Previous experience in successfully using an earned media tool such as Cision.
* Self-motivated with a solutions-oriented attitude
* Values and inspires a positive work environment
* Able to meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure
This position requires a background check
Temple University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Compliance Statement: In the performance of their functions as detailed in the position description employees have an obligation to avoid ethical, legal, financial, and other conflicts of interest to ensure that their actions and outside activities do not conflict with their primary employment responsibilities at the institution. Employees are also expected to understand and be in compliance with applicable laws, University and employment policies, and regulations, including NCAA regulations for areas and departments in which their essential functions cause them to interact.
To obtain additional information about Temple University please visit our website at www.temple.edu.
Temple University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains statistics, policies, and procedures related to campus safety and can be found at https://safety.temple.edu/reports-logs/annual-security-report
You may request a copy of the report by calling Temple University's Campus Safety Services at 215-204-7900.