The Principal Development Scientist leads the development of new, improved, and cost-reduced meat products while also leading project teams. Reporting to the Director, Research & Development, you will be the technical project leader for the Meat Snacks platform and for both big bet innovation and major base business projects. You contribute to the creation, maintenance, and review of integrated recipes for all items including: specifications, materials, formulas, equipment, quality and process information for R&D, plant, co-packers and suppliers. You will conduct research to establish specifications and process requirements for meat items using knowledge of the properties of both meat products and finished consumer products, namely:
What You'll Do:
- In-depth knowledge of the attributes of the meat product manufactured
- In-depth knowledge of raw material components, their variability, and synergistic effects on finished product
- Knowledge of those product attributes that vary during production, and of the relationship between production variability and consumer acceptance
- Identify the tolerable limits (levels/intensities) of product variability, in each attribute, which provide expected consumer acceptance and allow Conagra supply chain to be efficient in manufacturing
- Knowledge of competitive set for Meat Snacks category
- Development and commercialization of meat items, working within and outside of Conagra plants, to meet specifications established above.
What You'll Bring:
- Lead product development projects for the Slim Jim, Duke's, and Penrose brands
- Champion ideas for technology improvements, cost savings, and cost savings that align with the strategic fit of projects
- Formulate products to achieve nutritional profile, ingredient statement, and product attributes of the target product
- Process product recipe changes and maintain accurate records of change
- Develop finished product and manufacturing process specifications using SAP, Oracle, and other programs
- Develop plan to collect analytical data to support NLEA Labeling requirements, and implement nutritional labeling claims or certification processes on our products
- Conduct plant trials and new product startups independently
- Work with teams including processing, marketing, finance, packaging and brand design, procurement, and manufacturing
- Maintain high level of awareness of technical trends and developments in the food and CPG industries. Lead applications research of new technology
- Determine technical goals and promote specific project execution to accomplish Meat Snack platform goals to meet project timelines
- Communicate complex technical concepts to a variety of audiences within the business organization
- Maintain understanding and application of experimental design, performance specs, and technical tools used in product development
- Collaborate directly with internal business teams at a high level, and cultivate relationships with external partners and resources
- Positively contribute to the image of Conagra Brands in technical community and be a coach and technical mentor to all developers
- BS with 10+ years, MS with 7+ years, or PhD with 5+ years in Meat Science, Food Science, Engineering, or related field
- A technical expert in at least one technology area or product platform with advanced knowledge of 2 or more additional technology areas/platforms, meat science preferred
- Experience in Product Development or related field at a food company
- Exhibit leadership with experience in coaching and technical mentoring
- Experience with food industry standards of quality and food safety, and USDA/FDA regulations
- Exposure to manufacturing environments for periodic extended work days to include:loud noise, excessive heat, cold, wet, and slippery conditions.
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time
- Ability to lift 25 to 50 lbs
- Ability to stand for sit or stand for extended periods of time
We care about your total well-being and will support you with the following, subject to your location and role:
- Health: Medical, dental and vision insurance, company-paid life, accident and disability insurance
- Wealth: great salaries, matching 401(k) and stock purchase plan
- Growth: online courses, virtual and classroom development experiences
- Balance: paid-time off , flexible work-schedules
Conagra Brands is one ofNorth America'sleading branded food companies. We have a rich heritage of making great food, and a team that's passionate about innovation and growth. Conagra offers choices for every occasion through iconic brands, such as Birds Eye,Marie Callender's, Banquet, Healthy Choice, Slim Jim, Reddi-wip, and Vlasic, and emerging brands, including Angie's BOOMCHICKAPOP, Duke's, Earth Balance, Gardein, and Frontera.
We pride ourselves on having the most impactful, energized and inclusive culture in the food industry. For more information, visit.
Conagra Brandsis an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.
Conagra Brands, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.