Carpenter Technology Corporation (NYSE: CRS) is a recognized leader in high-performance specialty alloy-based materials and process solutions for critical applications in the aerospace, defense, transportation, energy, industrial, medical, and consumer electronics markets. Founded in 1889, Carpenter has evolved to become a pioneer in premium specialty alloys, including titanium, nickel, and cobalt, as well as alloys specifically engineered for additive manufacturing (AM) processes and soft magnetics applications. Carpenter recently expanded its AM capabilities to provide a complete "powder-to-part" solution to accelerate materials innovation, offer rapid prototyping, and streamline parts production.
TITLE OF POSITION: Lean Manufacturing Specialist
LOCATION: Reading, PA
OVERVIEW: Work with Lean Leaders, Managers, and other stakeholders to support operations through the "Lean Journey". Position will provide direct support that focuses on the implementation and enhancement of the Carpenter Operating Model to impact the development, implementation, monitoring and maintenance of efficient manufacturing processes and workflows.
- Organize, implement, and maintain production process flow
- Suggest hands-on process improvements using a combination of Lean Manufacturing with a focus towards optimizing labor resources and systems, flow creation, 5S and waste reduction
- Improve existing operations for increased quality, productivity, efficiency, and cost savings
- Facilitate value stream mapping
- Investigate operational problems affecting production and reporting and recommending solutions
- Provide manufacturing data (production control charts, reliability, process capability, etc.) to improve the process and monitor and measure progress to target outcome
- Organize meetings with other team members to facilitate growth
- Assist in identifying ways to reduce production inefficiencies through recommendations. (new processes, elimination of waste, machinery enhancements, etc.)
- Provide assistance with the development and documentation of KPI's and systems designed to sustain and drive continuous improvement using Carpenters Operating Model
- Ensure a safe workplace and continually emphasize importance of safety standards.
- Adhere to lean manufacturing processes and emphasize continuous improvement
- Perform all other duties and special projects as assigned.
- BA/BS degree in Engineering related field
- 3+ years' successful lean implementation experience with proven record of sustainable results
- Prior knowledge and practical experience in a manufacturing/industrial setting with a strong focus on Lean Manufacturing operations
- Extensive job-related experience with LEAN manufacturing tools and methods
- Proven ability to drive continuous improvement by identifying and eliminating waste using applicable tools and analysis
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills-verbal, written, and the ability to listen intently
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to travel 25% to other locations within a specified region.
- Prior knowledge/experience with the Toyota Production System-strongly preferred
- Extensive experience in an industrial manufacturing setting-preferred
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills and aptitude--preferred
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with company contributions as well as many other options to employees.
Carpenter Technology Corporation's policy is to fully and effectively maintain a program of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination for all employees, to employ affirmative action for all protected classes, and to recruit and develop the best qualified persons available regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by law. The Company also will recruit, develop and provide opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans.