Overview:Our Chicago office is seeking a Regional Lead Engineer to join our Structures team.
A recognized leader in the Chicago region and office/market location and well-established licensed engineer in a managerial position that is ultimately responsible for the region/office and project successes. Leads teams in planning, coordinating and administering all phases of projects. Possesses strong leadership and communication skills, a flexible attitude, ability to solve problems creatively and ability to foster and manage effective client relationships. Endorses the firm's values by personally influencing client service, innovation and communication.
- Manages structural project team efforts to facilitate effective execution of project design and the delivery of implementation documents through the construction administration stages of a project, including post-occupancy evaluation and sharing/harvesting lessons learned and project impact
- Acts as primary client contact point for local regional and office relationships, building and strengthening connections with clients through a comprehensive understanding of their project mission, goals, policies, needs and progress
- Maintains open communication with client and provides guidance through projects
- Manages and oversees implementation documents, discussion of project and technical issues and coordination with other disciplines
- Applies goals for the Engineering group aligned with those of the firm's strategy
- Leads coordination of project team interaction both internally and with all other project participants
- Collaborates on all phases of the design process from kickoff to construction administration
- Facilitates project team's self-evaluation to distill and distribute lessons learned within the firm
- Oversees appropriate application of products and materials available on the market and according to HKS standards, best practice and quality expectations
- Integrates HKS expertise and innovation in all projects, while actively seeking opportunities to incorporate HKS best practices, sustainable design solutions, subject matter expertise and resources strategically and efficiently for the client, user and community
- Coordinates with project team to establish design solutions that can be technically implemented within the constraints of the project goals, budgets, available time and within local ordinances and codes
- Exercises skills of persuasion and negotiation on critical issues through the scope of the project
- Holds project team responsible for detailed code analysis, structural analysis and calculations and quality of implementation documents
- Responsible for quality of engineering coordination and implementation documents by reviewing for accuracy
- Serves as Principal Engineer to sign and seal documents accordingly
- Maintains familiarity with HKS expertise and innovation, actively seeking opportunities to integrate best practices, subject matter expertise or effective resources strategically and efficiently for client, user, community and HKS value
- Attends on-site visits and field reviews as necessary
- Models and holds others accountable to the firm's cultural values, including a commitment to quality, innovation, learning and growth
- Oversees and actively invests in the professional development of staff through mentoring, performance management and career planning
- Resolves conflict effectively and encourages a healthy team environment
- Leads efforts in attracting, training, retaining, growing and recognizing diverse talent for region/office
- Fosters and maintains a collaborative professional working relationship with the project team, including promoting communication and creating approachability.
- Actively promotes and incorporates the firm's principles of 'design excellence' through the integration of responsible and sustainable design practice with the art of design
- Reviews regional financial performance and assists Director with setting budgets and redirecting projects as needed
- Manages project financial performance, such as verifying structural fees and billing
- Determines terms and assists in preparing fee proposals, including add service requests
- Develops, maintains and regularly communicates with project team on project job costs, budget and associated schedule to project resources (including managing and reviewing team's timesheets for accuracy)
- Builds, updates and executes project schedule assuring deliverables are completed on time and aligned with the budgeted labor; recalibrate as necessary
- Applies skills to minimize risks, maximize value and seeks means to improve efficiencies and reduce costs
- Understands contract and recognizes additional services needed
Revenue or Opportunity Generation
- Leads new business development and marketing strategies for region/office, including looking for opportunities for repeat work with clients
- Strategizes with Director and other leadership on project pursuits, marketing efforts and industry events to maintain existing client relationships and establish new business
- Understands scope and fees on contracts; monitors for changes in scope to initiative additional service letters
- Identifies, maintains and cultivates essential relationships
- Accredited professional degree in Civil, Structural or Architectural Engineering or related field
- Professional engineering or structural engineering licensure required for the state of Illinois and additional licenses in surrounding states preferred (structural engineering licensure preferred)
- Ability to be licensed in multiple states preferred
- Typically 15+ years of experience
- Sustainable design accreditation preferred
- Firsthand and sustained experience in all phases of engineering and construction
- Strong history of work in the office location and/or region that has established relationships with local clients, AHJ's and contractors. Knowledge of local structural system preferences and economics
- Understand the use of Revit and BIM in the delivery of implementation documents.
- Experience in Vision preferred
- Experience in MS Office Suite, including Microsoft Project and Microsoft Teams preferred
- Advanced knowledge of sustainability and integrated design guidelines
- Advanced knowledge of integrated design, engineering building systems and QA/QC process
- Advanced knowledge of building codes, material design standards and constructability
- Successful track record with managing a team and performing duties in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage team with diplomatic and collaborative leadership style which puts value on relationships and collaboration, both internal and external
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and professional manner both verbally and in writing
- Ability to problem solve and apply innovative solutions
- Ability to collaborate and encourage collaboration in a team environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines at expected quality
Travel will be required.
The information contained in this job description is intended to serve as a minimum requirement and guideline - not as a guarantee - for promotion to this level. Some additional criteria, qualifications or expectations may be required by service, sector or practice group.
If you currently work for HKS, please submit your application via the Internal Careers Portal.
HKS is an EEO/AA Employer: M/F/Disabled/Veteran
HKS is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to a policy of non-discrimination in all employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, advancement, compensation, and termination. HKS’ policies, including its Affirmative Action Programs, are designed to not only ensure legal compliance with state and federal anti-discrimination and retaliation laws, but to carry out the principles of equal employment opportunities in all job categories. Deliberate and conscious effort is made to make employment decisions that are consistent with these equal employment opportunity principles. HKS will recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles, and ensure that all other personnel actions are administered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or disability; and ensure that all employment decisions are based only on valid job requirements. Employees and applicants will not be subjected to harassment, intimidation, threats, coercion, or discrimination for filing a complaint, assisting or participating in an investigation, compliance evaluation or hearing, opposing and/or exercising any other right made unlawful by Executive Order 11246, Sections 503 and 38 USC 4212, as amended, or their implementing regulations, or any other Federal, State or local laws requiring equal opportunity.