The Food Scientist II conducts Research and Product Development activities on consumable pet chew products for Nylabone and IMS products. Brings key skills and knowledge in new product ideas/concepts and troubleshooting, Able to initiate product and/or processing concepts from idea to final production startup. Spearheads new technology development and its application to extruded and injection molded products. Develop and implement productivity and continuous improvement projects.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS:
- Work directly with sales, marketing and regulatory in developing product concepts including potential claims.
- Collaborate with Operations, Quality and Regulatory to commercialize products, develop product specifications; assure regulatory compliance.
- Collaborate cross-functionally marketing/sales, plant and vendors as the R&D project leader to drive execution across multiple projects.
- Review packaging proof for package weight, ingredients, guarantee analysis, claims and participate in package review process
- Coordinate experimental design, shelf life, palatability testing, chew time, dental experiments etc.to make claims on products.
- Source raw materials based on requirements.
- Develop formulas and prototypes.
- Compile documentation needed for compliance with applicable regulations and company policies.
- Conduct product testing to ensure product safety, quality and regulatory compliance is met.
- Contribute to key product improvements, cost reductions, new products, development, knowledge building or other technically based business-driven objectives.
- Ensure best practices are being followed in compliance with regulations and company policies.
- Keep current, identify and communicate to management pet food industry trends and the impact to the business as it relates to ingredients or technology.
- B.S. or higher degree in Food Science or related discipline
- Minimum of 3-5 years product development experience in the food /pet food industry
- In-depth experience of extrusion processing with knowledge of ingredient functionality in extruded food matrices. Injection molding experience a plus.
- Working knowledge of FDA, USDA, AFFCO and related regulations
- Experience using Design of Experiments, statistical analysis and ability to interpret results
- Must be detail-oriented and organized
- Must have excellent communication skills
At Central Garden & Pet (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA), we believe home is at the center of our lives, and our employees are driven by our purpose to nurture happy and healthy homes. Our company is made up of thousands of people across North America, with an emerging footprint across the U.K., Mexico, China and Canada - all dedicated to helping gardens bloom bigger, pets live healthier and communities grow stronger. We are united by our mission to lead the future of the garden and pet industries...one blade of grass and one wagging tail at a time. Visit our website at to learn more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.