Employee Type:Full time
Location:IL Oak Brook
Job Type:Research and Development
Job Posting Title:Food Scientist
With limited supervision, leads the design, planning, validation, and implementation of new products, line extensions, product improvement and technical service for TreeHouse Foods that meet product offering requirements within the Bars segment. The role will have responsibility for internal and co-manufacturing projects. The position is based out of the Downers Grove, IL research center.
- Works collaboratively in the execution of development from bench to production scale for new products, product improvements and cost savings projects.
- Works collaboratively with commercialization to manage project timelines and develop project success criteria.
- Defines the formulation, nutritional and process parameters needed to develop a product which meets the project objective(s); understands the impact of these parameters to overall project.
- Defines raw material and corresponding process, ingredient and supplier qualification processes, and finished product specifications and set-ups through corresponding systems.
- Applies sound scientific methods in all stages of development. Including planning and executing trials, analyzing data and defining solutions to achieve project goals.
- Create new prototypes for product development initiatives and identify, evaluate and approve potential ingredients and manufacturing suppliers
- Identifies opportunities for competitive market advantage and new trends in category.
- Provide judgement and experience to assure that an appropriate level of technical knowledge and discipline are being applied and utilized in business decisions
- Partner and communicate effectively with cross-functional groups: Business Unit, Co-Manufacturing, Sales, QA, Procurement, Finance, Operations and Engineering
- Ensure the transfer of technology to the operations team when commercializing products. Provide technical oversight of internal and external manufacturing start-ups and ongoing technical service
- Contribute significantly and continually to attain results through the generation and application of advanced, specialized knowledge
- Generate and support pipeline work to drive cost optimization through formulation and processing efficiencies
- Participates in customer presentations and/or preparing product, content for customer meetings
- Ensure all activities follow established safety standards, regulatory requirements (FDA, UDSA & Kosher) and Good Manufacturing Procedures (GMP)
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 3+ years of experience in Food Science Product Development or related field
- Must be able to conduct customer interactions, coordinate meetings and have strong communications skills
- Must be a self-starter, independent, energetic and resourceful
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Solid Project Management and commercialization skills and experience
- Aptitude for technical leadership and project management
Education: Bachelor's Degree Required - Type: Food Science/Engineering or Related Field
Preferred Attributes, Qualifications & Working Conditions:
- Knowledge of ingredient interactions/functionality; preference in nutrition bar development with an understanding of protein interaction.
- Preferred knowledge of baked applications as well as cold processed ready to eat applications.
- Communicate effectively and openly while working in a cross-functional team.
Travel (other than driving) - Up to 30%
TreeHouse Foods is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including those with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to . In your email please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting and a description of the position for which you are applying.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.