Joseph T. Ryerson & Son, Inc., a leading distributor and processor of metals with over 178 years of history, is seeking a Benefits Manager to join our Corporate Human Resources team in Lisle, IL (position is remote during COVID-19 pandemic). Ryerson sells and processes over 70,000 metal products, providing customized metal solutions to our customers. Ryerson is made up of over 4,000 employees operating in approximately 100 locations across the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and China. Reporting to the Director of Corporate HR, the successful candidate will lead the strategy for Ryerson's U.S. benefits programs in accordance with established policies and procedures and with an eye toward driving improvement. This position will manage a Sr. Benefits Specialist, Sr. Benefits Analyst, and two Benefits Coordinators.
Roles and Responsibilities:
* Takes the lead in defining, developing and managing programs to ensure that Ryerson's benefits are competitive and cost-effective; creates associated policy and procedures along with other supporting communications.
* Manages the administration of the company's U.S. benefit plans and programs in accordance with plan documents, insurance contracts, vendor agreements, Collective Bargaining Agreements, and applicable federal, state, and local regulations, and takes charge of updates and modifications to those plans and programs.
* Project manager for annual enrollment process, which includes synchronization with vendors, development of written communications, and coordination of employee information sessions.
* Participates on associated committees and oversees administrative processes pertaining to 401(k) and pension plans.
* Supports preparation of data/reports for Health & Welfare and DC and DB plan audits, non-discrimination testing, and 5500 submissions.
* Responsible for vendor management. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with benefit plan carriers to ensure proper performance.
* Coordinates proactive communication of benefit information to Human Resources teams, managers, and employees.
* Reviews and analyzes the benefits market to determine employee needs, trends, regulations, and practices.
* Helps identify win-win opportunities with respect to company-provided benefits.
* Completes other projects and duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree required. Degree in Human Resources or related field strongly preferred.
* Proven experience managing aforementioned responsibilities through a minimum of 7 years of benefits experience.
* Experience directly managing a team required.
* Prior experience supporting employees in a manufacturing or distribution industry a plus.
* Working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations regarding benefits and other Human Resources regulations.
* Excellent Microsoft Office knowledge and experience with HRIS technology platforms required (ADP preferred).
* Strong business acumen and ability to project confidence while communicating with individuals at all levels of the organization.
* Professional and polished verbal and written communication skills. Must possess a meticulous attention to detail.
* Must have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; requires approachable, responsive, results-oriented, and proactive personal traits.
* Meets deadlines.
* Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality in all matters related to employee compensation and benefits.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, disability or genetic information, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other federal, state or local protected class or artificial barrier.