We are seeking an experienced metallurgist to work on the Strategic Metallurgy Team. This individual is expected to have a broad technical engineering knowledge base with a focus on metallurgical products and a proven track record of delivering impactful results. This individual will lead and support projects that serve a diverse set of strategic goals, including but not limited to developing new products and processes, improving quality for service performance and safety, improving manufacturing processes for product quality and reliability, qualifying new products and processes with external customers and OEM's, interfacing with government regulatory agencies, leading and participating in quality investigations.
METALLURGIST / STAFF SPECIALIST (DOE) - STRATEGIC METALLURGY,
- Work within a small, focused team of metallurgists to execute strategic technical projects in support of corporate goals.
- Plan, lead, and execute technical projects. Provide reports (verbal and written) on progress, outcomes, adherence to timeline and budget.
- Provide support for other projects and functions as required.
- Interface with internal customers to drive successful execution of project plans.
- Interface with external customers, to provide materials solutions and technical support. There is potential for joint development with external customers.
- Data retrieval and analysis to develop understanding of process parameters on product performance, and application of findings to process design and control.
- Apply business and management expertise to achieve financial and operational objectives within or across areas or departments.
- Investigate quality issues to root cause and implement corrective actions to prevent recurrence. If required, participate, or lead internal and external containment actions.
- Work within a culture of accountability, engagement, and safety based on the Carpenter Core Values.
- Four-year college degree in Material Science and Engineering or related field. Ability to travel 0-50%. Travel expected to generally be on low end of the range but could vary significantly at times, depending on active projects.
- Ten or more years of experience in a technical or R&D staff position.
- Must be able to design projects with clear priorities, commit to achieving deliverables, and deliver on commitments on time with above-the-line accountability.
- Must have strong overall business acumen including understanding of financial aspects of the business, with the ability to distill critical information for decision making and executive presentations. Ability to execute business plans and achieve goals.
- Knowledge and demonstrated application of statistical analysis methodology for problem solving / product and process improvement. Ability to recognize, communicate, measure, and implement actions to mitigate technical risks.
- Open and candid communications style with willingness to speak out and encourage dissent prior to final decision making. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a production-oriented environment, office environment and with external customers.
- Metallurgical knowledge and experience with specialty steels and nickel alloys. Emphasis on superalloys, alloy steels, stainless steels is applicable and preferred. Experience with premium melting methods (VIM, ESR, VAR), and hot working processes is preferred.
- Industry experience with Aerospace and Energy products and technical requirements is preferred. Experience in other markets including defense, automotive, industrial, and medical is applicable.
- Working knowledge of quality systems (especially aerospace) and experience with problem solving, both for internal improvement and for external customer support preferred.
- Strong experience in working cross-functionally both within an organization and outside using strong interpersonal skills to secure expertise, resources, and momentum necessary to advance major programs.
- Proven commitment to a zero-injury workplace. Establishes expectation of dignity, respect, integrity, and ethics within their team and leads by example.
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with company contributions as well as many other options to employees.
Carpenter Technology Corporation's policy is to fully and effectively maintain a program of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination for all employees, to employ affirmative action for all protected classes, and to recruit and develop the best qualified persons available regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by law. The Company also will recruit, develop and provide opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans.