The Project Engineer to the Hill Mechanical Corporation ("HMC") division of The Hill Group ("Hill") liaises closely with team members to assist in the accomplishment of department goals. The Project Engineer will act on behalf of Hill as the contact with the Customer, Owner, and/or Owners Representative or governing authorities regarding construction projects.
- Understand engineering concepts regarding mechanical and plumbing systems, including MEP Coordination; ability to value engineer opportunities to better serve the customer
- Understand of all construction drawings and contract specifications in order to estimate a job via Design-Line or alternative take-off options. Issue bid request to vendors and subcontractors and communicate bid information
- Involvement in take-off analysis and the ability to evaluate data provided by the estimating team; responsible for getting clarifications pre-bid, not post-award
- Understanding of the buyout negotiations and differences between budget, street quote, discounted and buy
- General project management responsibilities including team coordination, communication and execution; manage close-out documents and process
- Understand contract scope of Hill's work and that of any subcontractor scopes on project; management of subcontractors
- Manage the Building Information Modeling ("BIM") process
- Review and understand project/production schedules including master schedule, two-week look ahead, near term, BIM and Fab schedules, etc.
- Prepare and manage kick-off meetings, job hazard analysis documents and any other project needs
- Attend and participate in monthly safety audits on projects; assist with JHA's including creation of procedure documents for critical events
- Understand organization of project folders, manage submittal logs and RFI processes including change orders, submittals and addendums; responsible for all project communication relating to RFI's, change orders, submittals and addendums
- Understand the scheduling and tracking systems and processes; release equipment, materials for fabrication and delivery
- Establish vendor relationships; purchase equipment and materials
- Responsible for change order management and how that relates to the contract, cost codes vendors, etc.
- Supervise and manage the start-up, test and balance, and commissioning process of all systems on a project(s)
- Responsible for Quality Assurance and Quality Control ("QA/QC") documents and records
- Understand accounting functions including, but not limited to: ability to understand and issue purchase orders, cost codes and difference job types, including whether a project is taxable vs non-taxable
- Understand cash flow importance, retention negotiation and follow-up; understand the relationship between schedule and cost
- Understand and develop schedule of values, forecasting and billing cycles with consideration of the project being cash positive
- Understand contract document and terms of condition, including OCIP, CCIP, and other contract requirements (WBE, MBE, etc.)
- Attend client and company events, participate in client relationship activities
- All other duties as assigned
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor Degree Mechanical Engineering, Building Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering Technology or related major is required
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, and PowerPoint)
- Experience in Bluebeam a plus
- Experience in Penta and OnBase a plus
- OSHA 30 Hour Card or other safety certifications a plus
- Requires an ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure and adjust to changing situations
- Requires the ability to be proactive, have initiative, great attention to detail, accuracy, and an ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, including clear and concise technical writing
- Must have excellent interpersonal and customer services skills, and maintain a positive attitude while dealing professionally with co-workers, clients, vendors, etc.
- Must be able to work independently with limited supervision while still being a team player
- Must be dependable, organized and self-motivated
- There are three (3) different levels of Project Engineers at Hill; your experience and qualifications will be determined based on internal criteria; compensation level is determined based on this.