Position at Matson Logistics, Inc.
Matson Logistics is a leading provider of multimodal transportation, warehousing, and distribution services throughout North America. Known for our innovative solutions and financial strength and stability, Matson Logistics' people, processes and systems work together to deliver superior performance and value to our customers every day.
This position works closely with highway carriers to identify, plan, and coordinate over-the-road (OTR) shipments (dispatches on average 5-12 loads per day) on behalf of Matson Logistics' customers and prospective customers, by utilizing the most efficient and cost-effective means of transport by performing the duties mentioned below.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Receives shipping order requirements and specifications from business development team and truckload customer operations coordinators and identifies available options and alternatives to achieve desired results.
- Determines methods of shipment, including identifying available motor carrier (OTR) vendor options, determining container requirements, doing a cost analysis of the options, negotiating truck costs with a focus on maximizing margins, dispatching each load to the selected carrier, and closely monitoring the pickup, transit and delivery of each load.
- Communicates with colleagues in regards to truck capacity, rates, and load coverage.
- Identifies any delays associated with shipments as they arise and implements contingency plans and/or implements corrective actions as necessary.
- Resolves exception events and matters regarding equipment requirements that may impact delivery schedules.
- Assists in resolving situations involving distressed loads or other trip complications.
- Reviews and authorizes the payment or nonpayment of accessorial charges, invoice discrepancies, and loss claims.
- Negotiates for unanticipated services and processes the necessary approvals on these accessorial costs to ensure prompt collection from the customer and timely payment to the carrier for services performed.
- Corresponds with coworkers to ensure execution of load deliveries, as well as proper invoicing, payment, discrepancy resolution with carriers.
- Develops a knowledge and understanding of truck capacity and rates in their responsible region. Negotiates truck rates effectively by understanding truck capacity and market rates, while maximizing Matson Logistics load margins.
- Cultivates relationships with existing, new, and prospective carriers to generate more truck capacity and competitive pricing, which results in the realization of positive gross margins for Matson Logistics.
- Complies with all company rules, policies, and procedures. Works and behaves safely by following all safety rules and regulations.
- Performs any task required to support customer requirements and company goals.
In addition to those essential job functions identified above, individuals in this position are also responsible for performing other duties or tasks that may be assigned. The Company retains the discretion to add to or change the essential job functions of this position at any time.
Qualifications, Education, & Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required; four-year degree in transportation or business strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, including excellent telephone skills.
- Strong ability to plan, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks.
- Must work well with others, including vendors, suppliers, and internal and external customers to achieve common goals.
- Ability to develop solid working knowledge of intermodal transportation industry.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing customer requests and requirements.
- Ability to timely and accurately input and edit transaction data (including accessorial and discrepancies) in the Company's computerized order-entry system.
- Ability to manage seasonally heavy workloads.
- Must possess a working knowledge of MS Office programs or other comparable computer software programs.
- Must possess and exercise excellent customer service skills at all times.
- Must consistently demonstrate professional and pleasant behavior and effectively communicate in stressful situations and/or environments.
- One or more years of related experience and/or training preferred.
- Four-year degree from college or university preferred strongly.
Matson is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, AIDS/HIV status, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including, but not limited to, the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.