Responsible for leading the office mechanical engineering practice in all aspects of the Company's goals. Working with office leadership, implement strategies to effectively support and grow engineering by leveraging the capabilities of the firm's engineering talent to increase engineering-oriented project sales and revenue. The mechanical engineering leader is responsible for leading the design, technical quality, engineering business development and production activities of mechanical engineering services for the office.
- Lead the process for developing and implementing the Chicago mechanical engineering practice strategic plan, positioning and promotion. This includes managing the annual budget for these activities as outlined by office Leadership.
- Facilitate efforts across the offices to further the growth and development of our engineering practice, with the goal of establishing and maintaining a strong presence for each studio in all our Company's geographic locations and increasing engineering sales and revenue across the firm. Coordinate with Studio Leaders to effectively support studio marketing plans.
- Continually assess the engineering capabilities, specific to each studio in each office location, and assist the leadership teams in each office to operationally align our engineering capabilities and approach with studio strategies.
- Champion the Company's full service and engineering practice value propositions within the firm and in our broader communities. Working in conjunction with the marketing staff, develop marketing materials, qualifications summaries, project profiles, and other collateral to further the Company's efforts in growing the engineering practice. Assist the marketing staff to identify industry award programs and recognition opportunities, and develop associated submittal materials.
- Assist Managing Principals, Studio Leaders and Principals-in Charge in the development, negotiation and implementation of the professional services proposal/contract process; establishing project service delivery requirements, hour allocations, team structure and project schedule commitments; and project profit goals consistent with the Company's established policies, procedures and resource capabilities. For select opportunities, serve as leader of this process.
- Serve as one of the firm's main participants and spokespersons with prospective clients, professional organizations and the public, playing a lead role in the marketing of the Company's professional services. This includes participating in project interviews, positioning activities, presenting at conferences and seminars, publishing articles, and networking with individuals and professional organizations.
- Working in coordination with the Managing Principals, Studio Leaders and Discipline Leaders, mentor engineering staff across the firm to develop broader skill sets in client service, studio partnership, positioning and promotion.
- Represent the Company as Principal-in-Charge (or Project Director) when requested or required and provide other direct billable services as appropriate to meet the Company's overall chargeability goals.
- Serve as Mechanical Engineer on projects with responsibilities including: responsible for building system concepts and documentation process from schematics through construction administration phases; Participate in the development of the project cost model during pursuit and design, while ensuring that budgets are respected and achieved; Conduct material and product research as required for project development; Respond to client questions/requests within 24 hours; Document interpretation and submittal reviews during bidding and construction administration.
- Professional Bachelor's Level Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Architectural Engineering.
- Professional Licensure in Mechanical Engineering required.
- LEED Accredited preferred.
- Minimum eight years' professional experience.
- High-tech design experience preferred with exposure to one or more of the following sectors: Higher education, labs, mission critical, workplace, multi-family housing.
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of professional services from marketing through project close-out, including design and technical expertise.
- A comprehensive understanding of the coordination aspects and related requirements of all design disciplines.
- Ability to motivate others and develop teamwork; excellent writing and speaking skills, and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work well with others under deadline situations.
- Very detail-oriented, self-motivated, enthusiastic and flexible.
- Possess strong business acumen.
- A senior level position, highly visible to clients and employees, that requires assertiveness, integrity and the ability to lead, influence and persuade.
- Ability to interact well in various business and social settings with all types of people in a professional manner.
- Technology proficient.
- Capable of traveling between Company's geographic office locations.
- Capable of traveling to and from project sites for attending client, project and construction meetings.
- Ability to access existing and new project sites for observation, investigation and evaluation purposes.
- Ability to use equipment for communication and documentation purposes.
- Visual acuity to perform responsibilities.