Wunderlich-Malec Engineering has a Controls Engineer position available at our Nashville, TN location. Wunderlich-Malec Engineering is a 100% employee-owned company and one of the largest and most well-established (35+ years) engineering companies in the United States. This position is responsible for controls engineering project requirements involving PLC programming, HMI/SCADA programming, control panel design, electrical inspection and design support, instrumentation specification, check-out support and commissioning assistance.
- Design Aspect
- Designs, develops, and implements control systems (logic software and hardware) to meet process system requirements.
- Develops schematics detailing control system configuration and wiring, and design equipment panel layouts on AutoCAD software.
- Develop Sequence of Operation document detailing control strategies for the process under control. Lead design reviews with customers for review and approval of design documents.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, drawings and specification issued for performance of the control system commissioning. Typical documents may include PFDs, P&IDs, single line diagrams, cable and conduit schedules, instrumentation and control data sheets, I/O lists, etc.
- Ensures compliance with all regulations, codes, etc. as they apply to their scope of project work.
- System Integration Aspect
- Perform controls engineering design, development, and implementation including software (DCS/PLC, HMI, etc.), hardware (systems integration, instrumentation callout, panel layout, and construction), and systems design (integration of the various components on any given project).
- Knowledge of controller programming languages such as Ladder, Sequential Function Chart, Structured Text and others to achieve the desired results is required.
- Support factory/site acceptation testing, user acceptance testing and user training.
- Work at customer sites to perform the system checkout and start-up of the integrated control system.
- The ideal candidate must have a diverse engineering skillset with the ability to work independently. Will act as technical lead on projects and guide lower-level engineers and technicians. Could also act as Project Manager on smaller projects
- Individual will be working on automation and control system integration projects for clients across various industries including from manufacturing production lines, water/wastewater facilities to food production.
BA/BS degree in engineering or related discipline (Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Controls or Computer Engineering degree preferred). Technical degree and equivalent experience will be considered.
Four to ten years' experience in areas below preferred:
- 2+ years of directly related experience in process control and/or manufacturing and/or information services is preferred.
- Experience working within an Engineering design/implementation team, both in-office environments and remote work environments.
- An in-depth understanding of control systems, components, logic programming, experience with instrumentation and controls design and PLC systems (i.e. Allen Bradley, Modicon, Siemens, GE-IP) required.
- Instrumentation Experience: Should be able to specify required instrumentation for a specific project. Develop instrumentation data sheets and process functional descriptions.
- Experience with the development of sequence of operations, functional acceptance, and operational acceptance documentation.
- Some Experience with AutoCAD is desired.
- Strong inter-personnel skills. Ability to communicate and work with both team members, subcontractors and clients.
- Ability to travel up to 20%.
Preferred Candidate Experience
- Experience with Process Evaluation and optimization.
- Six Sigma, Kaizen Lean certification or experience is added bonus
- Arc-Flash study experience
- SCADA upgrade and replacement experience
Physical Demands of Position
Seeing, color perception, hearing, clear speech, dexterity in hands, driving, lifting, climbing, and ability to mount and dismount equipment, pushing, and pulling.
Standard office environment, On-site office environment, and diverse industrial environments
Frequent PC usage, facsimile/copy machines, phones.