Who We Are
The Chicago office of Milliman Inc. is looking for bright, enthusiastic and qualified candidates to work in their Financial Risk Management (FRM) practice.
Milliman's rigorous, distinctly innovative approach to risk management is built on a foundation of actuarial expertise and shaped by some of the most advanced thinking in the industry. Whether you're looking to improve capital efficiency, comply with regulatory requirements, or guard against market volatility, Milliman offers a complete range of operational, strategic, and financial risk management solutions and tools.
We have a focused, multi-disciplinary team of actuaries, financial engineers/capital markets professionals and software developers working together to develop risk management solutions for the financial services industry. We currently advise some of the world's largest insurance companies in areas such as hedging strategy and operations, portfolio risk management, and capital requirements.
We hire the best in the business-and then trust them to do their work their way. It's about personal responsibility, creativity, flexibility. We believe great work happens in great work environments.
Our culture is highly collaborative with value placed on high quality work and innovation.
Milliman Financial Risk Management LLC is a market leader in the field of portfolio management and risk management, with a focus on trading securities and derivatives to manage capital market risks for banks, asset managers, insurance companies, and pension plans. The Portfolio Management Group, located in Chicago, operates as an integrated team to provide these services to clients across the globe, and currently implements risk management investment strategies on over $50 billion in assets. FRM is committed to continual research and development to maintain and enhance its position as an industry leader in financial risk and portfolio management.
Your Role/What You'll Do
The Portfolio Management Group is looking for a full-time professional with 1-3 years of experience to join our team. Our new colleague will have an opportunity to contribute to our client services in a variety of ways, including building and maintaining portfolio management system/software, trading platform, market data, client reporting, SQL database, and any programs that facilitate portfolio managers' work.
- Participate in an immersive learning experience to familiarize yourself with our operational process and systems for implementation of risk management strategies
- Collaborate with PMG Research and Trading Technology groups and support their development efforts
- Implement changes to the trading platform of Milliman's risk management strategies for our clients
- Program software to parse/access/distribute market data to/from central repository
- Design/configure/generate client reports, including performance attribution reports, risk reports, and portfolio allocation reports
- Manage/maintain SQL servers and database
- Communicate with clients and fund operations/administrative counterparties (custodian banks, fund accountants, trading partners) to ensure system functionalities
- Develop knowledge of derivative markets and risk management techniques, and provide support for research, consulting, and advisory work
- Implement the portfolio management process of Milliman's risk management strategies for our clients to enhance your understanding of our portfolio management operations
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Computer Science or a similar quantitative program of study. Alternatively, substantial project experience would be considered in conjunction with different degrees
- Substantial coding experience in a larger team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming, preferably in C#, C/C++
- Database development experience, preferably with Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience with financial markets, mutual funds, portfolio management and derivatives
- Proven record of reliability and dedication to high quality work
- Ability to take on projects and operate with minimal oversight
- Willingness to own products and take responsibility for their support in production
- Knowledge of software development life cycle methodologies and best practices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Sharp critical thinking skills, sound judgment and decision-making ability, and both the ability and willingness to clearly articulate your ideas
- Proven ability to work in a fast-pace environment where the client is always first
- The ability to work both collaboratively and independently and to see the value of both in an iterative development process
- Interest in or currently pursuing professional examinations (SOA Exams P, MFE/IFM etc., CFA Exams, FRM Exams)
At Milliman, we focus on creating an environment that recognizes - and meets - the personal and professional needs of the individual. We offer a competitive benefits package which includes:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their families, including eligible domestic partners.
- A 401(k) plan with matching program
- Profit sharing as a discretionary contribution to employees' retirement accounts
- Paid Time Off (PTO) starts accruing on the first day of work and can be used for any reason.
- Voluntary benefits such as additional life or accidental death and dismemberment coverage for yourself or dependents
- Flexible spending accounts allow employees to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for dependent care, transportation and applicable medical needs