Wunderlich-Malec Engineering is a 100% employee-owned ESOP and one of the largest and most well-established (35+ years) engineering companies in the United States - we have a Controls Engineer position available in our Dallas, TX office, this person could also be based out of Austin, TX. This position is responsible for controls engineering project requirements involving PLC programming, HMI/SCADA programming, control panel design, instrumentation specification, check-out support and commissioning assistance.
Project execution; task identification, prioritization and scheduling; early problem identification and conflict resolution; hardware/software requisition; programming and system development; supporting other engineers in group and attending project status meetings. Responsibilities also include:
- Perform controls engineering design, development, and implementation including software (DCS/PLC, HMI, etc.), hardware (systems integration, instrumentation callout, panel layout, and construction), and systems design (integration of the various components on any given project).
- Programming Control Ladder logic, scripted control languages, HTML, graphics construction, instrumentation and various control device configurations, database configuration, and intuitive ability to program an otherwise difficult device.
- Support factory/site acceptation testing, user acceptance testing and user training.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, drawings and specification issued for performance of the control system commissioning. Typical documents may include PFDs, P&IDs, single line diagrams, cable and conduit schedules, instrumentation and control data sheets, I/O lists, etc.
- Accumulates and/or generates methodology, lessons learned, templates, efficiency tools, etc. to streamline project execution.
- Develops individual work-plan to meet overall project deadlines.
- Ensures understanding of their assigned project scope to meet the overall W-M engineering responsibilities.
- Evaluates progress on project(s) and details changes.
- Assist in the development of costs and proposal of change orders to contract scope.
- Can serve as a W-M engineering interface with the customer during the implementation phase of the project.
- Ensures compliance with all regulations, codes, etc. as they apply to their scope of project work.
- Technical writing including project definition and requirements, clearly delineated status reporting, process control sequence of operations, standard practices and procedures, scope of supply, requests for information, customer correspondence and code commenting.
BA/BS degree in engineering or related discipline (Electrical, Chemical, Controls or Computer Engineering degree preferred). Technical degree and equivalent experience may be substituted.
- Minimum 4 years of directly related experience in process control and/or manufacturing and/or information services is preferred.
- Experience working within an Engineering design/implementation team, both in office environments and remote work environments.
- Professional client relation skills required. Will often be working directly with client Engineering and Production staff.
- Exceptional verbal and written ability with the aptitude to communicate professionally with client and project leadership.
- Good engineering and documentation practice. Experience (or strong desire to learn) in using collaboration tools (such as SharePoint) for project execution methodology.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook). SharePoint experience a plus.
- Must have a valid driver's license and ability to travel up to 35%. Travel is project specific.
Strongly-Preferred Job Needs
We are looking for engineers with diverse industry experience that includes two or more of the following:
- Life Sciences/Pharma
- Food & Beverage
- Oil and Gas
- Discrete Manufacturing
- Power Generation Facilities
- Building Automation/Management Systems (BAS/BMS)
- Wonderware System Platform programming
- Allen Bradley ControlLogix programming
- Rockwell RSView Factory Talk system development
- Siemens PLC/OIT development in TIA portal
- Checkout, testing, start-up and commissioning
- Additional SCADA/HMI experience a plus (Ignition, ICONICS)
- Additional PCL/DCS experience a plus
- MES experience a plus
- Computer System Validation in a GMP environement
Physical Demands of Position
Seeing, color perception, hearing, clear speech, dexterity in hands, driving, ability to travel distances, climbing, ability to mount and dismount equipment, pushing, and pulling.
Standard office environment, on-site office environment, and diverse industrial environments
and construction trailer environment. Frequent PC usage in office and field work.
*Job Descriptions are not exhaustive lists of all skills, responsibilities, or efforts associated with a job. They reflect principal job elements essential for performing the job and evaluating performance.