Wunderlich-Malec Engineering is a 100% employee-owned ESOP and one of the largest and most well-established (35+ years) engineering companies in the United States - we have a Controls Engineer position available in our Albuquerque, NM office. This position is responsible for controls engineering project requirements involving PLC programming, HMI/SCADA programming, control panel design, instrumentation specification, check-out support and commissioning assistance.
Major Responsibilities include:
- Project execution:
- Task identification, prioritization and scheduling with personal accountability to ensure commitments are met.
- Early problem identification and conflict resolution.
- Working under the direction of other experienced engineers
- Continuous improvement: methodology, lessons learned, templates, efficiency tools, etc. to streamline project execution.
- Direct/frequent communication and interaction with clients.
- Ensures compliance with all regulations, codes, etc. as they apply to the contract and project(s).
- Technical writing including project definition and requirements, clearly delineated status reporting, process control sequence of operations, standard practices and procedures, scope of supply, requests for information, customer correspondence and code commenting.
- Provide engineering design, development, and implementation including software (DCS/PLC, HMI, etc.). Provide support to lead engineer for hardware engineering (systems integration, instrumentation callout, panel layout, and construction), and systems design (integration of the various components on any given project).
- Support factory/site acceptation testing, user acceptance testing and user training.
- Programming control logic, graphics construction, device communication, database configuration, etc.
- Read, interpret and update: documents, drawings and specifications related to process control and automation projects. Typical documents may include PFDs, P&IDs, single line diagrams, cable and conduit schedules, instrumentation and control data sheets, I/O lists, etc.
- Education: BA/BS degree in engineering or related discipline (Electrical, Chemical, Controls or Computer Engineering degree preferred). Technical degree and equivalent experience may be substituted.
- Experience: 1+ years of directly related experience in process control and/or manufacturing and/or information services.
- PLC, DCS and/or SCADA/HMI: design, development and deployment experience.
- Strong leadership and client relation skills.
- Good engineering and good documentation practice. Experience (or willingness) using collaboration tools (such as SharePoint) to work effectively within remote teams.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word. SharePoint experience a plus.
- Exceptional verbal and written ability with the aptitude to communicate professionally with client and project leadership.
- Must have a valid driver's license and ability to travel up to 25%.
- Strongly-preferred Specific Needs (some combination of the skills below):
- Diverse Process Knowledge: Oil & Gas, Chemicals, Water & Wastewater etc.
- Schneider Unity programming experience
- Allen Bradley ControlLogix programming (PlantPAx a plus) experience.
- SCADA/HMI experience (ICONICS or Wonderware a plus).
- Checkout, testing, startup and commissioning experience
- Our engineers gain experience with a diverse set of clients, industries and PLC, DCS and/or SCADA/HMI platforms.
- Mentoring and training.
- Career growth with both technical and management tracks.
- Flexible work schedules
- Great benefits package which includes 401K profit sharing w/company match as well as an Employee Stock Ownership Plan.
Physical Demands of Position:
Normal vision capabilities for AutoCad and architectural design duties. Ability to hear and take direction; full dexterity of hands for computer usage. Ability to sit and move around to complete a job assignment and meet deadlines as outlined.
Standard office environment with frequent use of computer, facsimiles, copy machines and other office equipment.
*Job Descriptions are not exhaustive lists of all skills, responsibilities, or efforts associated with a job. They reflect principal job elements essential for performing the job and evaluating performance.