Bring your problem-solving mindset, entrepreneurial spirit, and technical expertise to .
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. (WJE) is seeking an analytical yet practical Engineer, specialized in finite element analysis, to join our team in solving complex challenges across the civil, structural, and process industries.
As an associate-level engineer with WJE, you will become a well-rounded consultant primed to make a meaningful impact in your field. You will build on your industry experience to date, as you continue to deepen your technical expertise, hone your practical problem-solving capabilities, and cultivate your project management skills. If you are a critical thinker, curious about how things work, and not afraid to get your hands dirty, we want you on our team!
There is flexibility for this position to be based in our office or at company headquarters in .
- Apply sound engineering judgment and an understanding of governing codes, industry design guidelines, and recommended practices for the analysis and development of practical solutions
- Complete a variety of nonlinear analyses, which may include: finite element modeling and stress analysis; fracture mechanics and fatigue evaluation; root cause analysis (RCA); elastic-plastic and large deformation analysis for extreme events; strength and failure mode evaluations for new equipment designs; and Fitness-For-Service (FFS) assessment for in-service equipment and components with damage
- Participate in hands-on field work for equipment assessment, turnarounds support; walk-downs, documentation of existing conditions, data collection, and/or oversight of inspections (by others)
- Assume responsibility for the day-to-day success of multiple projects, including acting as the primary point of contact for clients, contractors, and project teams; and managing small-to-medium projects, as appropriate
- Prepare conceptual, preliminary, and final client deliverables, including written reports, calculation packages, repair design details, and project specifications
- Contribute to company-wide objectives through involvement in practice development initiatives, in-house Technical Resource Groups (TRGs) and research projects, and relevant technical committees and professional organizations
- Master's degree or PhD in aerospace, civil/structural, mechanical engineering, or related field
- Strong analytical skills in the area of solid mechanics with a working knowledge of nonlinear finite element analysis; ABAQUS (Abaqus FEA) preferred
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or ability to obtain
- Effective technical, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and adapt to changing demands, while maintaining a high standard of excellence, integrity, and attention-to-detail in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with the API 579 / ASME FFS-1 Fitness-For-Service standard and similar applicable codes
- Experience with the design, repairs/alterations, and reliability of fixed equipment, pressure vessels, and piping
- Familiarity with pressure vessel and pipe stress software packages (e.g., Compress, PV Elite, CAESAR II)
- Experience with nonlinear structural analysis for steel, concrete, and other construction materials
- Expertise in fracture mechanics, fatigue, and failure mechanisms
- Three or more years of relevant industry experience within petrochemical, refining, power generation, upstream, midstream, mining, or other heavy industrial markets
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as computer, printer, copier, telephone, voice mail system, and other office and metallurgical and mechanical field equipment. Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at various office, field, and industrial sites
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
- Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials, and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work at heights
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts, and other access equipment (with training)
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace, construction, and industrial site hazards
- Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
- Ability to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and authorization to work and travel throughout the United States without restrictions
Why Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates:
Founded in 1956, WJE is an interdisciplinary firm of over 600 engineers, architects, and materials scientists committed to helping clients solve, repair, and avoid challenging problems in the built world. WJE Associates have the opportunity to learn from and grow alongside industry-leading experts (locally and company-wide) in a challenging yet collaborative environment, supported by our and .
WJE is an employee-owned company that employs a diverse group of C2E2 people-people with outstanding Character, unwavering Commitment to our core and culture, strong Expertise, and genuine Enthusiasm for their work. Our extraordinary people enjoy a fulfilling and flexible work environment: one that is inclusive and genuinely values and fairly treats every employee; one that is based on trust and personal responsibility; one that encourages open communication, continued learning, innovative thinking, excellence, and teamwork; and one that provides each employee a combined opportunity for personal, professional, and financial growth that is unsurpassed in our business.
Annual starting base salary (gross): $86,600 to $117,200. Actual salaries will vary and will be based on several factors including consideration for a candidate's qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role. Base salary is one component of our total compensation package for employees. WJE offers an industry-leading total rewards package that enables our employees to grow and thrive with comprehensive health and financial benefits including robust and affordable health plans, generous 401(k) matching and bonus programs, time off to care for yourself and others, and investments in employees' professional development, to name a few. More information on WJE's total rewards package can be found at .
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, minorities, women, and protected veterans (VEVRAA federal contractor).
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.